Thursday, August 20, 2015

First encounter with the last frontier

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

For these last 10 wonder-filled days, that somewhere has been Alaska. I have waited a long time to meet the incredible things that flourish here. And now it seems I've barely skimmed the surface as I prepare to leave.  Nonetheless, I am grateful for the introduction and already look forward to my return.

The incredible somethings that I met here came in the form of gorgeous scenery - illuminated by sparkly, crisp, unseasonably sunny weather - and wildlife thriving in its natural habitat. Among the happy animals I spotted - largely with the help of captain Dan of the Kenai Fjords Resurrection Bay Cruise - I gazed in wonder at many bald eagles, a lone delightful sea otter, seals and sea lions sunbathing on rocks, lots of horned puffins, a few mountain goats, humpback whales, and other birds whose names I don't know how to pronounce or spell.

I am especially grateful for the hospitality I received along the journey, from kayak guides who greeted me at the airport and toted me around as if they had nothing better to do, to the innkeeper and her sweet dog Sitka at Beach Roadhouse in Haines (highly recommend!), to Bishop Shelley Wickstrom who opened her home in Anchorage to me and friend Kari in the midst of a busy and emotionally draining week. And finally today I got to pal around with running buddy Lisa and her adorable, smiley two-year old.

On Monday afternoon - a rare rainy day on this trip - Kari and I went the wrong way in our wanderings around Anchorage. We asked a woman at an intersection for directions to the Anchorage Museum. She first told us where it was (many blocks away) then on second thought, invited us to go to her truck to give us a ride. Alaskan hospitality at its finest!

There is much more to Alaska that waits to be known to me and the world - surely that is part of its appeal and allure as "the last frontier." For now I am satisfied to have breathed her fresh air, sampled her salmon, cod, and halibut, paddled in her waters, hiked a few of her trails, marveled at her wildlife, starry skies and falling stars, and avoided close encounters with her larger creatures - bear and moose.

Many thanks to the 49th state and all who dwell there who helped make this traveling woman's dream come true.


View from Ptarmigan Valley Trail, 15 miles north of Anchorage. 

View of Portage Glacier in between Anchorage and Whittier.

With our gracious host, Bishop Shelley Wickstrom


2 comments:

  1. Lydia - I was there last summer with my daughter.. and yesterday I was flipping pictures looking for one of a snow covered mountain for an art class. You are storing up memories like a bee making honey for winter. These experiences will get you through many years "ordinary". Eyes wide open, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true about storing up memories like honey, Pat. Thank you! I wonder what part of Alaska you were in with your daughter. It is such a vast and beautiful state.

    ReplyDelete