Thursday, August 6, 2015

Slower is sometimes (often) better

Moving slowly, with diligence and perseverance, is a virtue. And not one I possess. Icon-painting is well suited for those who enjoy giving attention to detail and keeping their attention on one thing for prolonged periods of time. I, on the other hand, tend to be a multi-tasker with a short attention span, flitting around here and there. Watching a feature-length movie can be a tall order at times.

To say that icon-painting all day everyday for a week is a challenge would be putting it mildly, but it's surprisingly not as hard as I thought. Due to excellent teaching, the companionship of other painters, and keeping the hours of prayer at 9 am, 3 pm, and 9 pm - in which we ask, among other things, for God's help to complete the task we are undertaking, the day unfolds in a natural rhythm and no part of it seems overly taxing. I am also aware of what a privilege and gift this time is... to have a whole week dedicated to prayer and painting beautiful things. What could be better? Maybe having my dog at my side as I go about this work. Only because I miss him. But I suspect iconography may be even less suited for the messy furriness of dogs than it is for short attention spans of humans.

Yesterday another of Randi's students stopped in to share with us the icon he just completed. It was an arresting and gorgeous image of one of my favorite Bible characters: John the Baptist. The last time I preached on him was about his death in which his head was served on a platter, which for obvious reasons made me sad. It was restorative to see him looking at us, intact, with a confident and fierce gaze through that icon, as he is remembered now as a saint in light. This icon was the work of a thoroughly attentive local artist - James Vonminden - who works as a maintenance man in an ecumenical Benedictine community. James worked on the piece for over a year. His diligence shows. His work is beautiful in part because of his attentiveness and slowness.




No comments:

Post a Comment