Saturday, August 8, 2015

Almost done, thanks be to God

Today is the last part of our 6-day class. All I have left is to whiten the eyes, paint the back and sides of the board, and paint his name. And then Archangel Raphael will be finished! As someone who has never picked up a paintbrush in any meaningful or intentional way, this endeavor was only possible by the help of God and through a manner of painting in which humility, not artistic skill, was the requirement for creating something beautiful.
He is holding a spoon and a box with healing ointments. Archangel Raphael's story of healing and help for a traveler is found in the book of Tobit. He is the patron saint of nurses and travelers.

Here is a glimpse of Immanuel Icons studio in Pittsburgh (and my little work/prayer station) where Raphael was created.


2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Lydia... I am new to you. Your ESL teaching, dog loving photo taking artist friend ST referred me to your blog because she knew i would love following your sabbatical. She was right! I have read it from the beginning with my coffee this morning. Your journey is quite inspiring to me. I spent several days on Iona in November a couple of years ago and am trying to encourage a Lutheran Pastor friend to aim herself there... I will follow you with interest and appreciate all of your efforts to communicate with us. Blogging is sometimes like throwing yourself out into a void.. please know your posts are eagerly anticipated. And, I am so impressed with your icon experience. Meditate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pat! That is great you have experienced Iona and are encouraging your friend to get there. I cannot wait... Except that there is much goodness and beauty to enjoy in the meantime. Yes, meditate! By all means. :)

    ReplyDelete