Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The gift of hospitality

A beloved elder in my extended family died last month from a sudden, severe stroke.  It was with a mix of gratitude, sorrow, and honor that I attended his packed and beautiful funeral last weekend in Lincoln, Nebraska, where he lived with his wife and many children and grandchildren for the past 55 years after immigrating from Nigeria.

What I will remember most about the father of my brother-in-law and grandfather to four of my nieces and nephew, is his hospitality.  His kindness and genuine welcome compelled me and opportunity allowed me to keep crossing paths with him over the years.  A year after we first met - at my sister and brother-in-law's wedding - he and his wife Bernice helped sponsor my year of service in Guandong Province, China.  In the years since, I moved across the country multiple times: (1) from Chicago to Berkeley, CA in 2003 (2) from Bellingham, WA to Connecticut in 2011 and (3) from Connecticut to Colorado in 2016.  Each of those times, I made a stop in Lincoln, Nebraska, where Obasi and Bernice gave me a warm embrace, comfortable shelter, and always a hearty breakfast before I continued on my journey.  I recall that in my first trip when I was a full-time student, I left with cash for gas and new towels for my dorm room.  In my most recent move, the Onuohas also graciously accommodated my significant other and dog who traveled with me, with thanks to their daughter Sue.

An especially touching part of the funeral service was when Obasi's grandchildren spoke about his influence on their lives.  Each of them shared a way they hoped to continue his legacy of service and commitment to education and family.  One way I would like to honor Obasi's life and impact is by extending hospitality to others in my work, home, and whole being.  I hope to reflect further here and elsewhere what extending and embodying hospitality looks like and means for me. 

You can read a little more about Obasi's remarkable life here:
Obasi's obituary

No comments:

Post a Comment