Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Humble run

While visiting a friend for a long weekend, I went for a jog at sea level. It was a perfect day to be out: sunny but not too hot with a cool breeze. I am extra appreciative of pleasant weather these days while Hurricane Harvey continues to batter Texas. Prayers abound for my Texan friends.

I have been wondering this summer if my difficulty breathing during excercise in my new mountain town - at 9,000+ feet - means I am still adjusting to the altitude or if I am simply unfit.  Today I learned the former may be a factor but it's the latter that is more true!  Running at sea level with all the oxygen proved to be a challenge as well. Even though it was tough to make my legs move forward at more than a walking pace, I kept going around the lake near my friend's home. I was encouraged by the many people and dogs of all ages and sizes who were also making their way around the lake, one step at a time, mostly with a smile on their face.

As I was pushing myself forward, I heard a runner approach and I tried to stay ahead of her for several minutes. Eventually, she caught and passed me. I was humbled to see it was a "they" passing me: an adult woman, pushing an infant in a stroller, ran by with no visible huffing, puffing, or sweat beads pouring out like my body was doing (for an hour after the run as well).

We exchanged a few encouraging words and soon she was out of sight. Way to go, bad-ass momma! But also: ugh! I felt badly for being such a slow-poke.

I mention this vignette here though this very thing has certainly happened to me multiple times before as a reminder to myself and anyone reading this  that the important thing in seeking health is that I simply DO IT, not that I do it better or faster than others.  Comparison and judgment is not helpful most of the time.  Maybe comparing and contrasting  my speed, distance and overall health today to the same measurements in 6 months or a year would be helpful but I need not begrudge the stroller-pushing lady for being a better athlete than me or think less of myself for being slow and a heavy-breather.

I choose now to let it serve as motivation. To help me get up and hit the pavement or trail tomorrow. And the next day. And the next. And slowly, I may become a bad-ass runner again, too. Humility leads to honest self-assessment which ideally leads to setting and pursuing goals. Hello to humility.

No comments:

Post a Comment