Saturday, September 26, 2015

Tea with God

A tremendous gift sabbatical has provided is quality time with quality people. There has been no shortage of friendship-building during the last two months. I am especially grateful for this since I live alone and just four years ago moved across the continent to a state in which I had no family and just two friends. Those two people, by the way, happen to be married and both Lutheran pastors - one of whom is serving as the sabbatical pastor at my church as I write this. Thanks, Kathleen!

I was inspired by the quality people I met in the Iona community this past week - other guests in the program along with the staff and volunteers. Program participants came from around the world - mostly Europe with a few from Australia and North America - for the sake of personal and church renewal. The group consisted of pastors, musicians, and committed Christians who delight in singing and praying, particularly in the Celtic Christian tradition. Through sharing in a day-long pilgrimage around the island, preparing daily meals, participating in workshops and worship together, and of course enjoying daily tea-breaks, we bonded and kept surprisingly busy.

On Tuesday's seven hour, seven mile pilgrimage to sacred sites around Iona, including where St. Columba first landed.

Worshipers leaving Iona Abbey after morning prayer.

There has been less quiet and solitude than I would have expected on this holy island - simply because the experience of Iona is so much about the community itself. Sleeping on the top bunk in a small room with four (brilliant!) women and sharing bathroom(s) with dozens of others provides an experience other than solitude.  But that which it provides instead - community and new friends, good conversation, warmth and hospitality - is wonderful and I lapped all of it up.

I was placed on the "Otter" team of helpers which meant I served breakfast (consisting of porridge, toast and cereal), cleaned up afterward, and chopped vegetables after worship. Here are a few other otters hard at work.


After wavimg goodbye to my new friends yesterday as they returned to their respective homelands, I felt sad, knowing I am not likely to see most of them again and aware how precious our time together was. I also was alone for the first time in awhile which helped me to be more aware of my feelings.

The next guests arrive shortly on the same ferry and I expect to have the same kind of affection for them as we enter together in this week's program: "Greeting your life with Gospels."

Today I am alone, but certainly not lonely.  It has perhaps never been more clear to me that God is right here with me. I have worked with some intention and diligence to make friends back in Connecticut while maintaining friendships from other places and seasons in life.

It occurs to me in this alone time how diligently God has worked (and continues to work) to develop a friendship with me. The signs of this reaching out are innumerable.

When I came to the cafe at St. Columba hotel where I now sit, the hostess asked if I'd like a table for one. I said yes, but that's not entirely true. Today, God is my lunch-date. And I hope for the rest of my days on this earth, God remains my most cherished friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment