Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Sheep May Safely Graze

A favorite piece by JS Bach is Cantata No. 208: "Sheep May Safely Graze." The piece is pastoral and soothing, much like my current surroundings. After a bustling few days in colorful and lively Edinburgh, my mom and I are keen to find rest in a cozy thatched roof cottage in the quiet village of Elgol on the isle of Skye.

And, to add to help enforce the slowness of island life, we are surrounded by many wooly neighbors: sheep. More than a few "Hylen Coos" (Highland cows) are also safely grazing and resting this night. The Isle of Skye with its single lane road(s) and slowly roaming, mostly lying-down farm animals is an especially good place to learn to appreciate and practice down-time. I think my mom and I are excelling in it.
While out walking tonight, I noticed how adept some of these farm creatures are at climbing the steep hillside. One sheep in particular found an extra high perch in the corner of her pasture. I thought maybe she wanted a better view of the Cuillin mountains during her dinner. Or maybe she just wanted to stretch her legs and get a different perspective? 
I recognized that is one of the great gifts sabbatical is providing for me: a chance to roam in a slightly different field, stretch my legs, and gain a heightened perspective and awareness as to what God is up to in the world and in my life. 

All with the hope than when I return to my regular spot in the thick of the flock in the middle of field,  I will be more fully present to those in my care and those for whom and with whom I follow the Good Shepherd.

My neighbors in Elgol: On the top right, you can find one sheep roaming the furthest corner of her field.

It is a blessing and joy to share this part of my journey with my "mum" as they say. A highlight for us was cheering for the Chicago Bears in their season opener against the Packers while eating dinner at a pub in the small village of Callander (Scotland). I will save that funny story which involved the Bears playing on not one, but FOUR, giant flat screens for a future post.

Signs of God's promises reach across the pond! God's love is steadfast and His mercies are new each morning. This rainbow was spotted in Portree during our drive around the island today. 



No comments:

Post a Comment