Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Lessons from my lab

I realize that even in sickness, Jack is teaching me important life lessons:
  -- Whining doesn't help healing come faster.  No whining from Jack in these 24 hours post-surgery or the month of lameness before surgery even while he was obviously in pain.
--   Slow and steady is the best approach.  This is not Jack's style when a squirrel or bicyclist whizzes by, but most of the time, he is pretty chill and low-key.  This quality is already helping in recovery.
--  The mere thought of meeting a new or old friend is enough reason to wag and smile.  For Jack, the encounter with another [person] means he will get to sniff someone up close, receive love and attention, or get a treat.  Therefore, he wags and smiles all the time.  I am more cynical, and certainly more shy, than my pooch.  But after such overwhelming community support, I too find myself wagging more and barking less these days when it comes to encountering the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment